This document declares the undertakings by Vegan style in relation to its handling of Your Data.
- Data Use
- Data Disclosure
- Data Retention and Destruction
- Access by You to Your Personal Data
- Information about Data Handling Practices
- Handling of Enquiries, General Concerns and Complaints
- Changes to These Privacy Undertakings
Vegan Style undertakes to collect Your Data by means that are:
- legal; and
If you visit Vegan Style's web-site, your web-browser automatically discloses, and Vegan Style's web-server automatically logs, the following information: the date and time, the IP address from which you issued the request, the type of browser and operating system you are using, the URL of any page that referred you to the page, the URL you requested, and whether your request was successful. This data may or may not be sufficient to identify you.
Any additional data that you provide, e.g. in a web-form, may also be logged. This data may or may not be sufficient to identify you.
Any additional data that your web-browser automatically provides may also be logged. This will be the case, for example, if your browser has previously been requested to store data on your computer in 'cookies' and submits them each time you request a web-page within a particular domain (such as veganstyle.com.au). This data may or may not be sufficient to identify you.
If you disclose personal data to Vegan Style in conjunction with an identifier such as your name, Vegan Style will collect Your Data. Moreover, any data that becomes available to Vegan Style through any of the means described in the preceding paragraphs may be able to be associated with that identifier, and hence become Your Data.
Vegan Style undertakes to store Your Data in a manner that ensures security against unauthorised access, alteration or deletion, at a level commensurate with its sensitivity.
Vegan Style undertakes to store Your Data only in jurisdictions where data protections are at least equivalent to those required under the OECD Guidelines.
Vegan Style undertakes to transmit Your Data in a manner that ensures security against unauthorised access, alteration or deletion, at a level commensurate with its sensitivity.
Vegan Style undertakes to implement appropriate measures to ensure security of Your Data against inappropriate behaviour by Vegan Style's staff-members and contractors. These include:
- training for staff in relation to privacy;
- access control, to limit access to Your Data to those staff and contractors who have legitimate reasons to access it;
- particularly in the case of sensitive data, audit trails of accesses, including the identities of staff and contractors accessing the data;
- reminders to staff and contractors from time to time about the importance of data privacy, and the consequences of inappropriate behaviour;
- declaration of appropriately strong sanctions that are to be applied in the event of inappropriate behaviour
- clear communication of policies and sanctions; and
- processes to audit, to investigate and to impose sanctions.
Use refers to the application of Your Data by any part of Vegan Style, or any staff-member or contractor of Vegan Style in the course of their work.
Vegan Style undertakes to use Your Data only for:
- the purposes for which it was collected;
- such other purposes as are subsequently agreed between Vegan Style and You;
- such additional purposes as may be required by law. In these circumstances, Vegan Style will take any reasonable steps available to it to communicate to You that the use has occurred, unless it is precluded from doing so by law; and
- such additional purposes as are authorised by law (in particular to protect Vegan Style's interests, e.g. if it believes on reasonable grounds that You have failed to fulfil your undertakings to Vegan Style or have committed a breach of the criminal law).
Vegan Style undertakes to use YourData only if it has demonstrable relevance to the particular use to which it is being put.
Vegan Style undertakes to use YourData in such a manner as to take into account the possibility that it is not of sufficient quality for the purpose, e.g. because it is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, or out-of-context.
Disclosure refers to making YourData available to any party other than Vegan Style and You. The term disclosure may include many different conditions of data transfer, including selling, renting, trading, sharing and giving.
Vegan Style undertakes to disclose Your Data only under the following circumstances:
- in the course of business being conducted between You and Vegan Style, where disclosure is necessary to a contractor, such as a transport company. Where Your Data is disclosed in this way, Vegan Style undertakes to exercise control over Vegan Style's contractors to ensure that their actions are compliant with these Terms;
- in other circumstances that are directly implied by the purpose agreed between You and Vegan Style at the time of data collection or subsequently. Where Your Data is disclosed in this way, Vegan Style undertakes to exercise control over Vegan Style's contractors to ensure that their actions are compliant with these Terms;
- with your consent, or at your request;
- where required by law, such as a provision of a statute, or a court order such as a search warrant or sub poena. In these circumstances, Vegan Style will take any reasonable steps available to it to communicate to You that the disclosure has occurred, unless it is precluded from doing so by law;
- where permitted by law (e.g. the reporting of suspected breach of the criminal law to a law enforcement agency; and in an emergency, where Vegan Style believes on reasonable grounds that the disclosure of YourData will materially assist in the protection of the life of health of some person), provided that Vegan Style will apply due diligence to ensure that the exercise of the permission is justifiable.
In all cases, Vegan Style undertakes to disclose only such of Your Data as is necessary in the particular circumstances.
Subject to the qualifications immediately below, Vegan Style undertakes:
- to retain Your Data only as long as is consistent with its purpose; and
- to destroy Your Data when its purpose has expired, and to do so in such a manner that Your Data is not subsequently capable of being recovered.
This undertaking is qualified as follows:
- Your Data may be retained in Vegan Style's logs, backups and audit trails within short-term retention cycles that are devised to protect the company's operations. In such cases, Your Data will be destroyed in accordance with those cycles;
- Your Data may be retained beyond the expiry of its purpose if that is required by law, such as a provision of a statute, or a court order such as a search warrant or sub poena, or a warning by a law enforcement agency that delivery of a court order is imminent. In these circumstances, Vegan Style:
- will take any reasonable steps available to it to communicate to You that Your Data is being retained, unless it is precluded from doing so by law; and
- will only retain Your Data while that provision is current, and will then destroy Your Data;
- Your Data may be retained beyond the expiry of its purpose if it is authorised by law (in particular to protect Vegan Style's interests, e.g. if it believes on reasonable grounds that You have failed to fulfil your undertakings to Vegan Style or have committed a breach of the criminal law). In these circumstances, Vegan Style will only retain Your Data while that situation is current, and will then destroy Your Data.
Vegan Style undertakes to provide you with access to Your Data, subject to only such conditions and processes as are reasonable in the circumstances. In particular, Vegan Style undertakes to enable access:
- without unreasonable delay; and
- without cost.
Vegan Style undertakes to establish and operate identity authentication protections for access to Your Data that are appropriate to its sensitivity, but practical. This may involve some inconvenience; for example, relatively straightforward procedures may be involved in order to provide you with access through a channel that you have previously registered with Vegan Style (such as a particular email-address), but may impose more onerous procedures if you wish to use some other channel.
In the event that you dispute some aspect of Your Data, Vegan Style undertakes to take reasonable steps in relation to theamendment, supplementation or deletion of Your Data.
- not to seek access for frivolous purposes, or unreasonably frequently;
- to accept that deletion of some data may not be consistent with the provision of particular services by Vegan Style to you.
Vegan Style undertakes to make information available to you about the manner in which Vegan Style handles your data:
- in general terms, in a readily accessible manner; and
- in more specific terms, on request.
Where Your Data is disclosed to a contractor, Vegan Style undertakes to make information available to you on request about the manner in which Vegan Style's contractors handle your data.
Vegan Style undertakes to ensure that the information provided is meaningful, and addresses your concerns.
- not to seek such information for frivolous purposes, or unreasonably frequently; and
- to accept that the disclosure of excessive detail may harm the security of Your Data and Vegan Style's business processes, and may harm Vegan Style's commercial interests.
If you have enquiries, general concerns, or complaints about these Terms, or about Vegan Style's behaviour in relation to these Terms, you undertake:
- to communicate them in the first instance:
- to Vegan Style only;
- in sufficient detail;
- through a channel made available by Vegan Style for that purpose;
Vegan Style undertakes:
- to provide one or more channels for communications to Vegan Style which are convenient to users;
- to promptly provide acknowledgement of the receipt of communications, including the provision of a copy of the communication, the date and time it was registered, and Vegan Style's reference-code for the communication;
- to promptly provide a response to the communication, in an appropriate and meaningful manner.
You further undertake to not pursue Vegan Style through any Regulator or the media:
- until and unless Vegan Style has had a reasonable opportunity to respond to the initial communication; and
- while Vegan Style and you remain are conducting a meaningful dialogue about the matter.
Vegan Style declares that its undertakings in these Terms are intended to create legal obligations, and that those obligations are intended to be enforceable under appropriate laws in appropriate jurisdictions. These include laws relating to data protection, privacy, fair trading, corporations and criminal laws.
You undertake to seek enforcement only in a jurisdiction that is relevant to the transactions that have taken place between You and Vegan Style, in particular the jurisdiction in which you live or in which you performed the relevant acts, and the jurisdiction in which Vegan Style is domiciled or performed the relevant acts.
If you wish to discover the relevant laws in any particular jurisdiction, Vegan Style draws your attention to the following resources:
- the Australian Privacy Foundation's pages:
- Privacy International
- WorldLII Privacy Links
- Compilation of [U.S.] State and Federal Privacy Laws, Privacy Journal, Providence RI
- Privacy Law Sourcebook 2004, EPIC, Washington DC
Vegan Style undertakes:
- not to materially change these Terms in a manner that reduces the protections for Your Data;
- to take all possible steps to prevent any company that acquires this company or any of its relevant assets from materially changing the Terms applicable to Your Data in a manner that reduces the protections for Your Data;
- where it is considering making changes to these Terms, or creating more specific Terms relating to specific services, to consult with appropriate representative and advocacy organisations;
- where it makes changes to these Terms, to ensure that the differences between successive versions are readily accessible;
- to maintain all prior versions of these Terms in such a manner that they are dated, and readily accessible.
Vegan Style means the online store found at www.veganstyle.com.au.
Your Data means data that is capable of being associated with you, whether or not it includes an explicit identifier such as your name or customer number. In particular, it encompasses all data that Vegan Style is capable of correlating with you, using such means as server-logs and cookie-contents.
Your Data does not refer to data that can no longer be associated with you. This includes aggregated data that does not and cannot identify the individuals whose data are included in the aggregation.
Consent means your concurrence with an action to be taken by Vegan Style. Consent may be express or implicit, but in either case must be informed and freely-given.